1) For freshness after opening, store maca at room temperature, in an airtight, large glass canning jar, away from light and heat. Raw maca can be kept in the fridge or freezer to prolong shelf life, but it will keep just fine at room temperature also. (It is recommended to keep Monster Maca in the fridge, and if you are storing unopened bags, they are best kept in the freezer as long as you have a modern frost free freezer) No need to store gelatinized maca in the fridge or freezer though. It will keep very well for 2 years at room temperature.
2) Take lots! The more the better! If you can afford the optimal amount, 2-3 heaped (raw maca) 1-2 heaped (gelatinized) 1-2 rounded teaspoons (Maca Monster) of powder a day is best. (or more on those days when you you are feeling especially good!...) That is just a recommendation from my own experience, but any amount is good, of course. Listen to your body, it will tell you how much you should be taking. If you are unsure as to how you feel when taking maca, use less. If using capsules: a minimum of 6-10 capsules per day is my recommendation, but of course you can always use less. Many people use less and still get great results, but generally with maca, the more you take the better the results you will get. Maca is a food, and the natives eat a heck of a lot of it every day down in Peru, (with no harmful effects) so there really is not too much need to be too worried about it. 1-2 flat teaspoons of powder or 2-4 capsules a day is about the "normal" suggested dose that many companies suggest. You can take it all at once one time per day, (I like first thing in the morning the best) or spread it out several times during the day, it is up to you, whichever you prefer. You can take maca with food or without food, it also does not really matter. But if you have any digestive sensitivities or concerns, taking it with food is preferable. Anytime of day is a fine time to take maca, except it is not recommended to take it after dinner, as it can keep you awake.
3) Take a break from maca every once in a while. It is very important to do this because unless you do, the maca will become ineffective. Take a 1-2 week break after each 6-8 weeks of daily use, or use maca 5-6 days a week instead of 7. Each method works fine. Listen to your body, because it DOES know best!!
4) The easiest and (I think) the best way to take maca is just mix it in a glass of water and drink it, but there are numerous ways to take maca: in hot and cold cereals, smoothies, protein shakes, cooking, baking, salad dressings, soups, etc. etc. (see maca recipes below) Some people like to take maca with fruit juice to dilute it’s taste, but mixing maca with fruit, or fruit juice sometimes causes gas and a little bit of stomach distress. It may not happen with you though, so feel free to check it out.
5) You may feel a little tired or experience some unusual minor effects from taking maca during the first two weeks...it is normal. It is the effect of the maca starting to act upon your hormones. There are all sorts of pleasant things that happen while taking maca, but none of them should be unpleasant or make you feel uncomfortable. If you experience anything which makes you feel unsure or anxious, please see your doctor to make sure it is allright for you to be taking maca. All of the changes and effects which happen while taking maca should be of the nature of “improvements, beneficial, and pleasureable”. I wish you the very best of health and well being. Happy maca-ing! Enjoy!
6) Maca Monster Information:
Start with 1/2 - 1 flat teaspoon. You can slowly increase up to 2-3 rounded (not heaped, just rounded) teaspoons if you like. Use luke warm water preferably, (it dissolves easier in luke warm water than in cold water) but cold water is also fine. Stir well for about a minute. Start drinking it by SIPPING IT SLOWLY. Do not drink it down fast. You will need to keep stirring every so often to dissolve as much of it as you can into the water. With maca juice it is very potent and you should drink it like you are "eating" it, not like you are drinking it. There is a lot of concentrated food energy in juice, so let your body digest it slowly and gradually. When you get to the bottom of the glass, try and stir up the little "chunks" on the bottom of the glass and drink them back all at once very quickly like you are downing a shot glass of tequila. This is so you get all of the chunks into your mouth so you can let them dissolve slowly in your mouth by sucking them. If you miss some, use a spoon to spoon them into your mouth and suck them until dissolved. These little chucks are the naturally occuring hardened "fruit sugars" that are sort of like a sugary syrup, and they harden because of the freeze drying process. They are perfectly safe and good, possibly even the best part.
How long would a kilo last?
Depending on how much you use. Probably about 1-2 months, maybe 2 and 1/2 months if you use 1 flat teaspoon per day. I use 2-3 heaped teaspoons per day because I love it and am a hard core addict, but some people may be fine with a flat teaspoon per day, and 1 kilo probably lasts me about 3 weeks-1 month. It just depends on how much you feel you want. The more you take, the better you feel, generally.
Which is better normal maca or Maca Monster?
They are both great. Normal maca is like a good meal, and a nice tall cold glass of milk. Maca Monster is like caviar, and a glass of champagne. Either one works great and is perfect, but one is a special luxury product for those who are able to afford it.
You list effects and testimonials pretty liberally for men but what about women?
Maca Monster is brand new product for me. I do not know much about it, yet. But it will work as well for women as it does for men I can guarantee it, because all it is maca (albeit a juice) so maca works exactly the same for both sexes. That is what makes maca so great, it is not gender specific, it is for everybody and children, and pets also!
Why are there dark colored chunks in the bag of Maca Monster? That is the hardened naturally occuring fruit sugars that has formed into little hard chunks due to the freezedrying process.
There is nothing wrong with those chunks. They are just the sweet part of the juice (the most sugary part) turned to caramel form. I love those chunks! It is pure raw maca juice power!
By the way, about the taste of Maca Monster: I am not sure what people will think about the taste, but I think it tastes fantastic, and if you sip it slow and allow your body to digest it slowly and gradually, it gradually grows on you and turns into a daily obsession.
7) Any questions, concerns, and comments are totally welcomed! Please e-mail me at email@example.com (or write, or phone) and I will do my best to assist you in any way that I can. I love hearing from and getting to know you. I believe maca lovers are the greatest people around and I love communicating with you! Best Regards! Ken.
The information and procedures contained in this information are based upon the research and the personal and experience of the author. They are not intended as a substitute for consulting with your physician or other health care provider. The Root Of The Matter is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of any of the suggestions, preparations, or procedures discussed in this information. All matters pertaining to your physical health should be supervised by a health care professional.